Why people in Sweden do not smoke – level 2
Meet Morton, a 20-year-old in Stockholm. During his lunch break, he picks up fresh snus, a popular smokeless tobacco product in Sweden.
Snus is a small bag of tobacco, which you place under your lip. It contains nicotine. Some people believe that Sweden’s low smoking rates, 5.6% in 2022, are thanks to snus. But there is a problem with these nicotine bags. While fewer people smoke, snus and nicotine pouch use increases, especially among women. Nicotine bags, without tobacco, are a recent addiction.
Experts expect the global nicotine pouch market to reach 17.6 billion dollars by 2029. Some people say that snus became popular in Sweden thanks to anti-smoking measures from the 1990s.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What are some potential concerns about the increasing popularity of snus and nicotine pouch use in Sweden and globally?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.