Why people in Sweden do not smoke – level 3
Morton, a 20-year-old in Stockholm, enjoys using snus, a smokeless tobacco product popular in Sweden.
Snus has contributed to Sweden’s low smoking rates, with only 5.6% of Swedes smoking in 2022. While smoking has declined, snus usage, particularly among women, has increased. Nicotine pouches, a tobacco-free alternative, have also gained popularity. Despite claims that snus helps reduce smoking-related cancer rates, health experts express concerns about nicotine addiction. The tobacco industry views alternative products like snus as a shift away from cigarettes, emphasizing reduced risk.
The global market for nicotine pouches is expected to grow significantly. While some credit snus for Sweden’s success, others attribute it to anti-smoking measures implemented in the 1990s.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What concerns do health experts have regarding the increasing popularity of snus and nicotine pouches as alternatives to smoking in Sweden?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.