Wildfires in California – level 2
There are wildfires in California again because the forests are dry and the winds are strong. They spread fires quickly, and over 177 kilometres of land burns.
Thousands of buildings burn down and one town called Paradise is completely destroyed. Around 30,000 people lived there.
Around 250,000 people have to flee. Nine or more people die – five of them are found dead in their burned-out cars. In Malibu, the homes of Hollywood stars burn down, too. Everybody from Malibu is evacuated.
Difficult words: spread (grow), flee (get away, run away).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos