Woman from Pakistan survives – level 1
This news is from Pakistan. A woman loves a man. She marries him. The woman’s family is not happy about this. They think that the marriage is bad.
The woman’s father, uncle, brother and aunt want to kill her. The woman is shot two times. The family thinks that she is dead. They throw her body into the water. However, the woman is not dead. She swims to shore. Some people help her.
Around 1,000 Pakistani women are killed by their families every year.
Difficult words: marry (to become man and wife), marriage (the situation of being married), shore (area where water meets land).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about the family's decision?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.