Woman from Pakistan survives – level 2
A woman from Pakistan married a man she loved. However, her family didn’t agree with the marriage. Her father, uncle, brother and aunt shot her twice and threw her into the water in a sack.
The family thought that she died, but she was not dead. The woman regained consciousness and swam to shore. Some people helped her there. Around 1,000 Pakistani women are killed every year by their families in “honour killings”. Honour killing is a homicide of a member of a family. The family believes that the member brought some kind of shame upon it.
Difficult words: sack (bag), consciousness (condition of being awake), homicide (murder).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about the family's decision?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.