Women protest in Argentina – level 2
Last week, women in Argentina’s capital of Buenos Aires protested against femicide and gender violence.
Thousands of people walked through the streets of the city. When they reached the National Congress, they lit candles for women who died from femicide and gender violence. Many of those women had told police that they had problems. Sadly, the police didn’t listen to these women, and later, men killed them.
Reports said that last year, one femicide happened every 35 hours in Argentina. 81% of these women died because of domestic violence. Many women complained that the police were slow and that officials didn’t listen to women. They said that politicians did nothing to stop the violence.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.