World’s first intestine transplant – level 2
Emma was born in Spain, and when she was only one month old, doctors diagnosed her with a disease called intestinal failure.
For children, the most common cause of the disease was a short intestine, which was Emma’s case, too. Her intestine couldn’t absorb pull from food, and her health got worse very quickly. When Emma was just 11 months old, she became the first person in the world to receive another person’s intestine. Emma got a new intestine, liver, stomach, spleen, and pancreas.
The girl got the organs from a person who died of heart failure, and she was doing well when she left the hospital. Emma is now 18 months old, and she has no health problems.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.