Young Tennis Star – level 3
Fifteen-year-old Cori ‘CoCo’ Gauff stunned the tennis world after beating five-time singles champion Venus Williams last Monday.
The tennis phenom beat her opponent 6-4, 6-4 during the first round of Wimbledon. The match was also Gauff’s first appearance at the prestigious tournament, making her the youngest person to win a match since 1991. The young tennis player already made a name for herself years before when she reached the U.S. Open Junior Final at 13, and she won the French Open Junior title at 14.
Gauff told the BBC that it was her dream to face Venus Williams, as she grew up idolising her and her sister Serena. After the match, she thanked Venus, saying that she would not be there if not for her. Williams congratulated her on the win and told her to ‘keep going’.
Difficult words: stun (shock, amaze), phenom (a very talented young person), prestigious (famous, honoured).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos