Zika virus in Latin America – level 1
In Latin America, there is a virus. It is the Zika virus. It is spreading fast. It can infect up to 4 million people this year. In Brazil, 1.5 million people are already infected.
The virus is not dangerous to most people. It is very dangerous to babies. It damages their brains.
The Brazilian army is trying to help. Mosquitos carry the virus. The army is killing the mosquitos.
People are working on some medicine for the virus. It can take years to make the medicine.
Difficult words: spread (to get to more places), infect (to give a virus), damage (to hurt).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about the Zika virus?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.