Breakdance Becomes an Olympic Sport – level 3
Breakdancing is officially an Olympic sport now and it will feature at the Paris Games in 2024.
Breaking, as the dancers themselves call it, is a pillar of hip-hop culture that originated in New York in the 1970s. An official Olympic program report estimated that there were roughly a million break dancers worldwide. Logan Edra is a former gymnast and prize-winning b-girl, as female breakers are known. According to Edra, breakdancing is a beautiful form of art that deserves such recognition.
Breakdancing is not the first art form to be counted as an Olympic sport; however, its inclusion has prompted some soul-searching. The breakers will be judged not only on their technical skills but also on creativity and style that requires strength, speed, rhythm, and agility.
Difficult words: pillar (an important and foundational part), recognition (accepting or acknowledging that something exists), soul-searching (a deep or honest evaluation of something), agility (the ability to move quickly and easily).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos