Kennedy’s murderer may be free – level 2
On 5 June 1968, Sirhan Sirhan murdered Robert F. Kennedy. The attack happened at a hotel in Los Angeles, California.
Sirhan ended up in prison where he served a life sentence. Last week, after 53 years in prison, 77-year-old Sirhan got very good news. He can leave prison if he promises that he will not do any crimes.
Two of Kennedy’s sons agreed with the idea, and one of them said that Sirhan was still a human, and he should get a chance to live a normal life. It is not clear now if Sirhan will leave the prison. A special group called the California Parole Board must check the case, and then, the governor will decide what will happen with Sirhan.
Difficult words: life sentence (when a person must spend the rest of his life in prison), governor (the leader of the government of a US state), Parole Board (a special group that decides if a person can leave prison).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos