Kosovo crisis – level 3
NATO is increasing its troop deployment in Kosovo by 700 soldiers due to escalating tensions with ethnic Serbs.
NATO Secretary-General Jens Stoltenberg has emphasized the need for attacks in Kosovo to cease and assured that NATO will take necessary actions to maintain a safe environment. Stoltenberg urged both sides to de-escalate, avoid further irresponsible behavior, and resume EU-backed talks to improve relations. Recent clashes between NATO soldiers and ethnic Serbs, as well as protesters, resulted in injuries.
The situation arose from tensions between Serbia and Kosovo, with Serbia not recognizing Kosovo’s declaration of independence. Ethnic Albanians constitute the majority in Kosovo, while a Serb minority resides in the northern border region. Efforts are underway at the international level to calm the situation, but there are different positions among nations regarding Kosovo’s status.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What steps is NATO taking to de-escalate the situation and facilitate dialogue between various stakeholders?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.