Math Stops a Marriage – level 3
An Indian wife-to-be refused to marry her groom at the altar after he failed a simple maths test of 15 plus 6.
The bride’s family claims that they had been misled by the potential suitor from the start, as they had been shown someone else’s photo, as well as lied to about his income and education. The wife-to-be, Lovely, is good at her studies and wants to get married to an educated boy.
Both sides of the marriage returned all the received gifts, and local police came to mediate between the families.
Difficult words: altar (the place in a church where you get married), potential (possible), suitor (a person who wants to marry another person), mediate (help people in an argument).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What would you do if you were this girl?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.