Milk from lab – level 3
In the US, 10% – 15% of milk is made from nuts or soy; however, laboratory-produced dairy products are now becoming popular.
Dairy alternatives have a long history, and scientists have created a non-plant based milk. It uses a combination of some new and old technologies, in which genetically engineered microbes create milk proteins. Then, scientists put the proteins into large fermentation bioreactors to create animal milk protein. The result is similar to real animal milk protein; however, the process involves no animals.
This alternative to real dairy has environmental benefits than traditional dairy or some of the existing alternatives, as well as its match on the taste and texture of real milk. Unlike traditional dairy, it requires no cows; they create gas and pollute water. Also, it avoids ethical concerns about animals treatment in industrial farms.
Difficult words: genetically engineered microbes (bacteria that scientists created or changed), protein (the structure if a set of cells), fermentation bioreactor (a device that makes a chemical process to change a food or drink).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos