People in Austria must get a COVID-19 vaccine – level 3
Austria is the first country in Europe to pass a law that will require most adults to get vaccinated against COVID-19.
The mandate to get vaccinated for residents aged 18 and over is the first of its kind in Europe. On Thursday, the mandate cleared its last legislative hurdle. The government’s house approved it, and the President signed the law on Friday.
In mid-March, police will start to check people’s vaccination status during traffic stops and checks on coronavirus rules. People who can’t produce proof of vaccination will be asked in writing to do so, and they will get a fine of up to 600 euros. In the next part, officials will check the national vaccination database, and they will send reminders to unvaccinated people. They will give them dates to get vaccinated, and if they do not, they can get potential fines.
At present, 69% of the country’s population is fully vaccinated, and the government is preparing to ease some coronavirus rules.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.