Sisters Meet After 30 Years – level 3
Sisters Lorena Sanchez and Jacqueline Vasquez Sanchez were aged three and nine when the Tolima Volcano in Columbia erupted and devastated their town in November, 1985.
The volcano left more than 20,000 people dead and many victims were never identified. The catastrophe separated the sisters and they were put up for adoption after authorities believed that they had lost their family.
Decades later, Jacqueline saw a Facebook video, which featured her younger sister Lorena making an appeal for information on surviving family members. Jacqueline eventually was able to track down her sister.
Now, the sisters are trying to find out what happened to their parents, but despite public appeals, the search has been unsuccessful. They also have 30 years of catching up to do! Lorena said that the moment of their reunion was beautiful and sad at the same time.
Difficult words: catastrophe (a very negative event), authorities (leaders), appeal (a request), feature (to have), track down (to find).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
Have you ever looked for a family member?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos