Town in the sea – level 3
Until the 3rd century AD, the town of Baia was the most coveted destination for wealthy Roman citizens, senators, and emperors.
Now, it’s hidden beneath the sand and pebbles in the waters of the Gulf of Pozzuoli, just a few kilometers from Naples, Italy, and the only residents are fish and seahorses.
The slow movement of land from volcanic activity caused the land to submerge, and in 1969, divers discovered the ruins of two marble statues by chance. About 15,000 divers, snorkelers, and tourists visit the site all year round to travel back in time and swim through ancient streets, mosaics, statues, and the remains of a seaside resort.
Over the years, archeologists have moved some of the ancient objects above the sea to protect them from rock-eating plants and animals, strong tides, and thieves. However, the archeologists have placed copies of the originals underwater so that divers can experience the city as it was 2,000 years ago.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.