Snowslide hits the Everest base camp – level 2
The cities of Nepal weren’t the only places which were affected by the recent earthquake. The earthquake triggered a snowslide which hit the Everest base camp. It killed at least 17 people and trapped many.
A videographer from Canada filmed the moment that the snowslide hit. The cloud of snow blew tents and people hundreds of feet (1 foot is 30 centimetres).
Difficult words: affect (to hit), trigger (to start, to cause), trapped (if you are trapped somewhere, you cannot leave the place).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.