100 Years of the Word Robot – level 1
The word ´robot´ comes from the Czech language. The Czech writer Karel Čapek uses the word for the first time in 1921.
Čapek writes a science-fiction play called ‘R.U.R.’ It is about a factory. The factory makes robots. Robots become very dangerous. They fight with people. They win.
The word ´robot´ is similar to the Czech word ´robota´. It means hard work. People often use it in the past.
People use robots for many things today. Robots can be small but very big, too. They help people do difficult tasks. They help clean hospitals during the coronavirus pandemic. They help in restaurants and hotels. Some people keep them as pets.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.