102-year-old man beats COVID-19 – level 1
Nikolai Bagayev is 102 years old. He fights with the Russian soldiers in World War II.
Bagayev spends more than one month in hospital. He has COVID-19. He is very ill. The virus hurts 80% of the man’s lungs. It means that he cannot breathe well. Bagayev leaves hospital last week. He thanks the doctors. He says that he is born again.
Bagayev helps build the Baikonur Cosmodrome in Kazakhstan. This is a place for spaceships to travel into space from the city of Baikonur. The first man travels to space from Baikonur in 1961.
Russian cosmonauts teach Bagayev how to breathe better. It helps Bagayev recover from COVID-19.
Difficult words: breathe (to take air into the body and let it out again), born again (to feel like you are a baby again and you have no pain or you feel very happy), cosmonaut (a Russian astronaut), recover (to become healthy again).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos