37 years since Chernobyl disaster – level 1
Chernobyl is in Eastern Europe, about 100 kilometers north of Kyiv. 37 years ago, something very bad happens in Chernobyl.
There is a test in the nuclear plant. The test goes wrong. The plant explodes. It sends dangerous material into the air. It has an impact on all of Europe. 31 people die right away. A lot of people have to leave their homes. Some people say that up to 115,000 people died later.
The president of Ukraine says that Russia is using nuclear power plants to scare the world. Last year, Russian soldiers stay at the site for about one month. Last week, former workers and other people remember the day of the disaster. They light candles at the plant.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What impact did the Chernobyl disaster have on human health and the environment?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.