5G near airports – level 2
Telecommunication companies stopped turning on new 5G service towers in the US. The reason was that towers near airports, could be dangerous for planes.
Last week, airline officials sent a letter to many politicians. In the letter, they said that 5G could affect sensitive devices on planes, for example altimeters. It was not clear how many towers will turned off, but some people worried that it would be necessary to cancel thousands of flights.
Some international airlines already canceled many flights to and from the US. US officials said that it was necessary to solve the problem quickly and permanently.
Difficult words: telecommunication (related to telephones, radios, Internet, and other services), altimeter (a device which says how high something is above the ground), permanently (always and forever).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.