66-million-year-old embryo – level 2
In 2000, paleontologists in China found an egg in Ganzhou City, and for ten years, the egg was in a museum. Recently, scientists decided to examine the egg because they believed that something was inside.
Inside the egg, scientists found an embryo of an oviraptorosaur. This was a type of dinosaur. The egg was 17 centimeters long, and the embryo inside was 27 centimeters long. It had its head on the belly and its feet on either side. This position was usual for birds, and it proved what scientists long thought, that there was a link between dinosaurs and modern birds.
Oviraptorosaur was a kind of dinosaur with no teeth but with feathers like birds. It lived in today’s Asia and North America between 100 to 66 million years ago.
Difficult words: paleontologist (a person who studies animals and plants which lived on Earth a long time ago), examine (to study something carefully and in great detail), embryo (a person or animal before it is born).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.