8 billion people in world – level 1
The world’s population is 8 billion. China and India have the most people.
About 1.4 billion people live in each of them. Currently, China is the most populous country. This fact may change next year. Experts say that China’s population will start to fall.
For many years, Chinese couples can have only one child. Then the population gets old. They need young people to help them.
Now, politicians want to change the situation. Since 2021, married couples can have three children. Many couples want to have only one child. More children cost too much money.
In India, big cities are crowded. Travel is dangerous. Too many people are everywhere.
Every year, millions of people come to live in cities like Delhi or Mumbai. The cities don’t have enough work. 20% of people are without a job. They live in slums. Often, they don’t have water or electricity.
Difficult words: population (all the people who live in a place or country), populous (a country or area where many people live), slums (an area of a city where poor people live).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos