A dangerous pill – level 1
At least 33 people die in the UK. They use a slimming pill. A slimming pill helps people lose weight.
This slimming pill is called DNP. It is very dangerous. Toxic things are in the pill. It can kill a person. People should never use DNP. Last week, British authorities say that DNP is a poison. Sadly, people can still buy it on the Internet. In October, people can only buy it with a special document from a pharmacist.
People die and their families want to help. They say that authorities must ban the pill quickly. More people can die.
Difficult words: poison (a dangerous substance which can make you sick or kill you), pharmacist (a person who prepares and sells drugs and medicines), ban (to make something impossible officially).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think should be done about this slimming pill?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos