A dangerous pill – level 2
At least 33 people died in the UK after they consumed a pill to lose weight called DNP.
Experts warn that DNP is a dangerous chemical, and people should never eat it. Now, officials added the chemical to the list of poisons, and from October, people will only be able to buy the drug with a license from a pharmacist.
Currently, people can still buy DNP online, but experts tell them not to do it. DNP isn’t a medication or a nutritional supplement. Even a very small amount of the chemical can cause death.
People died after taking DNP; their families won a long battle with authorities to change the chemical’s classification. Still the families say that we must ban DNP quickly so that nobody else dies.
Difficult words: poison (a substance which can make someone sick or even kill him), nutritional supplement (a product which people eat, and it contains vitamins or minerals), classification (an official name or type for a thing).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What caused the 33 people to die after consuming DNP?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos