A flying boat – level 1
An unusual race happens in France last week. Athletes use flying boats. The flying boat is a boat where you lay down and pedal at the same time.
The idea is not new. Two French professors think of a flying boat in 2013. Nicolas Picard makes a boat called JetCycle in 2020. He uses the idea of a flying boat.
He changes it a little. He puts foil in the front and at the back. This makes the boat fly. The boat can move at 9 kilometers per hour.
One boat costs 12,000 euros. Picard wants to sell 100 boats in the next three years. Picard hopes that people will enjoy this new activity.
Difficult words: athlete (a person who plays a sport), pedal (to push your feet on a part of a bicycle to move it), foil (a piece of thin metal material), activity (something that people do).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos