A Man Collects Old Phones – level 1
Hassan al-Tourky lives in Egypt. He is 65 years old. He has a small shop. He repairs and sells phones.
Al-Tourky has an unusual hobby. He collects and restores old phones. Some of the phones are very old. They come from the 1800s. They belong to famous persons.
Al-Tourky has a phone of an Egyptian King. This phone comes from 1933. Al-Tourky also owns Charlie Chaplin’s two phones.
Al-Tourky gets some phones from his father. His father loves old phones. Al-Tourky loves them, too. He is happy that his sons have the same hobby.
They do not make a lot of money in the shop. But they are happy. They like to keep history alive.
Difficult words: collect (to get many similar things together), restore (to repair and make look new), Charlie Chaplin (a famous movie actor from the 1900s), alive (not dead).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos