A Man Collects Old Phones – level 2
Hassan al-Tourky is a 65-year-old man who collects and restores telephones. Al-Tourky runs a family shop where he repairs and sells phones, but he loves to collect old phones.
Some of al-Tourky´s phones belonged to famous people, for example, Egyptian King Farouq. King Farouq´s phone dates back to 1933, but some phones are much older. The oldest phones date back to the 1800s. Al-Tourky also owns two phones that belonged to Charlie Chaplin. One phone hangs on the wall and the second phone was on Chaplin´s desk.
Al-Tourky said that he got some phones from his father who loved them. Al-Tourky loves them, too, and he is happy that he can share his passion with his sons. He buys old phones from villas, palaces, and auctions.
Difficult words: collect (to get together a lot of similar things), restore (to repair something or bring it back into previous state), passion (a person’s intense interest that he wants to do), auction (an event where people buy and sell things that are usually expensive or old, for example, paintings).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.