A Man Rows across the Atlantic – level 1
Frank Rothwell comes from Oldham, UK. Rothwell is 70 years old. He rows across the Atlantic Ocean. He is the oldest person who does it.
Rothwell starts on the Canary Islands on December 12, 2020. His journey is 4,800 kilometers long. It lasts more than 56 days. Rothwell is alone in his boat.
His journey ends in Antigua and Barbuda. His wife waits there for him. Rothwell is happy. He trains 18 months for his journey.
Rothwell’s brother-in-law dies from Alzheimer’s disease during the journey. Rothwell helps get 890,000 dollars for scientists who study Alzheimer’s disease. He says that it does not matter how old people are. They can always fulfill their dreams.
Difficult words: row (to move a boat by your own hands), Alzheimer’s disease (a disease of an old person whose brain stops working well), fulfill (to do something that you want to do for a long time).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos