A nurse kills babies – level 1
Lucy Letby is a nurse. She is 33 years old. She works in a hospital in England.
People who work in the hospital notice strange things. Some babies die. Doctors do not understand why it happens. Police must find out what happens. It gets clear that Letby kills the babies. Letby puts insulin or air into the body. She gives the babies too much food, too.
The trial lasts 10 months. A court in Manchester says that Letby is guilty. She kills seven babies between June 2015 and June 2016. She looks like a nice person. But she hurts babies.
Difficult words: notice (to see that something is happening), trial (a formal action when a group of people decides about someone who does a bad thing), guilty (when someone does a bad thing and other people know it).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What evidence led to the court determining Letby was guilty?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.