A panda is back in China – level 1
A giant panda named Ya Ya lives in a Tennessee zoo for twenty years. Now, she returns to China.
In 2003, Ya Ya and a male giant panda named Le Le came to Memphis Zoo. Ya Ya was only three years old at that time. Le Le dies in February. He has a sick heart. The animals represent the friendship between China and America. However, animal supporters worry about Ya Ya’s health. They see videos online where she had less fur. She looks thin. China says that the US treats her badly. But the zoo says that it is not true.
The zoo explains on its website that Ya Ya has a skin and fur disease. The disease does not affect her life. But sometimes it makes her hair look thin. The zoo’s team takes good care of her and checks her condition often.
Difficult words: male (man), friendship (when someone is a friend of someone else), condition (how well someone is).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What measures have the Memphis Zoo taken to ensure Ya Ya's wellbeing in her new home in China?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos