A Royal record – level 1
Queen Victoria was the British Queen. She ruled for 63 years and 216 days. That is a long time. This was a record.
However, Victoria’s great-great-granddaughter broke the record. She is Queen Elizabeth II. She broke the record today.
People celebrate this event. They make a new coin. The coin is silver. It shows five faces of Queen Elizabeth II. In the first picture, she is young. The last picture is her current face.
People can buy the coin. It costs £20.
Difficult words: was (past of “is”), ruled (past of “rule” – to be the king or queen), current (today; existing now).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
Do you like Queen Elizabeth II?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.