A ship with electric cars catches fire – level 1
A big ship carries cars on the sea. The ship catches fire.
There are about 3,700 cars onboard. About 500 electric cars are among them. BMW and Mercedes-Benz confirm that their cars are onboard, too. It is not clear yet why the fire starts. But electric cars have different batteries. They burn hotter and longer. It is difficult to stop the fire.
One person dies in the fire. Seven men are safe. They jump into the water. Authorities try to find out why the fire starts. The ship is still burning. The fire is not so strong. Rescuers can go on the ship and make it safe.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What challenges do rescuers face in taking action to make the ship safe?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.