A study on autism – level 2
For 20 years, scientists at an American university studied autism.
The study involved more than 115,000 children, and scientists wanted to learn the causes of autism and ways to prevent it. Scientists took blood samples, they did genetic tests, and all people in the study answered many questions about their health.
The study found that three important things impacted autism. They were genetics, health, and the time that events happened. The study also showed that the second trimester of the pregnancy was very important, as the child’s brain developed in this time. When a pregnant woman had a high fever in the second trimester, and she didn’t treat the fever, it could cause autism.
Reports say that one in 44 children in the US has autism.
Difficult words: prevent (to stop something from happening), genetic (information in the body) trimester (three months).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos