A truck loses radioactive material – level 1
Rio Tinto is a mining company. It has a mine in the Kimberley region, Australia. The company uses radioactive capsules to measure iron ore. A radioactive capsule is a small container with radioactive material.
One capsule falls off a truck. It falls on the side of a road. 100 people look for it.
Officials ask people not to get too close to the capsule. It can make them very sick or even die.
People find the capsule after one week. The task is very difficult. The place is very large. The capsule is as small as a coin. Officials now say that the area is safe.
Difficult words: mine (a place where workers get materials from underground), radioactive (strong and dangerous energy which comes from the smallest things called atoms), iron ore (a rock that makes hard grey metal called iron).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What is the incidence of cancer in people who find the capsule?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.