A whale in a river – level 3
Northwest of Paris, France, rescuers sadly euthanized a beluga whale that had spent a week in the Seine River.
During an unprecedented rescue mission to save the mammal, the 80-person rescue team sent a crane to lift the four-meter and 800-kilogram animal out of the water.
The distressed animal swum 100 kilometers inland, it refused to eat, and it became dangerously thin. During a transfer to the Normandy Coast, it had breathing problems, and its health worsened. The animal was obviously in pain; therefore, veterinarians decided to euthanize it.
The beluga whale is an extremely sociable animal which lives in groups of up to hundreds of whales. It’s a protected species, and it usually lives in much colder Arctic waters.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.