A woman breaks a sculpture – level 2
Art Wynwood, an annual art fair took place in Miami, Florida, and something very unusual happened there.
There was an opening night, and only VIP guests could attend. A woman, who was an art collector, broke a sculpture by US artists Jeff Koons. People said that they saw the woman tapping the sculpture with her finger. The sculpture, which cost 42,000 dollars, fell to the ground and smashed into pieces.
A local artist said that he still would like to buy it because it had an interesting story.
Jeff Koons’s sculptures are very famous and popular, and they sell for tens of millions of dollars. There is a limited edition of 798 dogs, some of which are up to 3 meters high. The broken sculpture was a 40-centimeter puppy.
Difficult words: annual (when something happens every year), tap (to hit something with your finger), limited edition (an edition of a book or piece of art which has a specific number of copies).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What is the story of the Jeff Koons puppy sculpture that broke at the Art Wynwood art fair in Miami?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos