A women’s village – level 1
Jinwar is a village in northeast Syria. It is a safe place for women.
Workers build the village in 2018. The village has 30 houses. Women and children live there together. There are 20 families. The village has a school, a training academy, and a bakery. Women grow crops in fields. No men can live in Jinwar, but they can visit their families. Boys can live with their mothers until they get married.
When there is a war, women and children always suffer the most. Women in Jinwar work during the day and sing and dance at night. They have their own goals and dreams. Nobody controls them. They become stronger. They do not just do chores at home anymore.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What initiatives have been developed in Jinwar to empower women and help them reach their goals?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.