1.59 billion dollars in a lottery – level 2
In the USA, people have a chance to win 1.59 billion dollars in a lottery. Thousands of people are buying the tickets. If you buy a ticket, you have a 1 in 292 million chance of picking the right combination of numbers.
So far, three lucky people in Los Angeles, Tennessee and Florida got the numbers right – people will divide the prize among them.
However, they don’t get to keep all of the money. The government takes at least 40% of the money.
Difficult words: prize (the money or something else that you win), divide (to break into more parts), government (the “bosses” of a country).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What would you do if you won so much money?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.