2016 Olympic Games – level 1
People light the Olympic torch in Greece. It travels around Greece for six days. It goes to Brazil on May 3rd. There, it travels around 329 cities. It comes to Rio de Janeiro on August 5th. On August 5th, the 2016 Summer Olympics began.
Brazil must be ready for the Olympics. But there are some problems. The country’s economy is not good. There is not enough money for the Olympic Games. Also, the Brazilian President has problems. Some people want her to step down.
Difficult words: torch (something in which you can carry fire), step down (to stop being the president).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.