21st century Spice Girls – level 3
It’s the Spice Girls but not as you know them. Twenty years after it was first released, this famous girl power anthem has been given a 21st century feminist makeover. The new video is part of Project Everyone’s campaign to improve the lives of women and girls everywhere, calling for an end to violence against girls, quality education for all and equal pay for equal work.
The video invites viewers to take a picture of what they really, really want to be passed to world leaders at the UN General Assembly in September.
The project has already gained the backing of the original Spice Girls. Mel C tweeted that she’s honoured the song is being used in such a beautiful way, while Victoria Beckham got on board by tweeting this picture.
The organisers say they’ve already had a very positive response to the video, and you can share your own picture by using the hashtag #whatireallyreallywant.
Difficult words: girl power (women’s rights), anthem (a famous song), gain (get), backing (support, help).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.