Aboriginal flag – level 1
The Aboriginal flag is the flag of the Australian Aboriginal people. The aboriginal people are the first people who live in a place.
The flag is black, red, and yellow. Harold Thomas makes the flag in 1971. The flag becomes a symbol of Aboriginal people on the continent.
Then they must pay to use it. Thomas and a few companies have a copyright on the flag. A copyright means that other people or organizations must pay them to use something.
Sports teams use the flag, too. They are angry. They do not want to pay.
The Australian government buys the copyright on the flag. The government pays 20 million dollars. All people can use the flag freely now.
Difficult words: flag (a piece of cloth which has different colors, and it represents a country), symbol (a thing which means something else), continent (a large piece of land, for example Africa or Europe).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos