Abortion in Northern Ireland – level 2
Northern Ireland has a strict abortion law, which is different from the rest of the UK. Women can access 9-week abortion pills or have an abortion if the woman’s life is at risk.
Some women feel very angry about this. They form a protest group, which says that the law should be the same as it is in the rest of the UK. These women from the group hand themselves to the police. They do this because they bought abortion pills and gave them to other women who were too afraid to buy them.
Irish women who have the money to travel to England can have legal abortion there. Women who do not have the money have no choice.
A judge gave a 21-year-old woman a suspended sentence earlier this month. This was because she bought abortion pills online and had an abortion.
Difficult words: abortion (taking a baby out of a mother’s body when it is still too little to survive), access (to buy, to have), suspended sentence (a type of punishment when you do not go to prison if you stop doing something illegal).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.