Ahmed’s clock – level 2
A teenage Muslim named Ahmed Mohamed from Texas made a homemade clock. He put the clock in a suitcase and it looked a little like a bomb.
He brought the clock to school and teachers thought that it was a bomb. The police came and led him away in handcuffs.
Social media sharply criticised Ahmed’s arrest. People who support Ahmed use the hashtag “IStandWithAhmed”. Barack Obama invited Ahmed to the White House, and Mark Zuckerberg invited Ahmed to Facebook’s headquarters.
Difficult words: handcuffs (a pair of metal rings police put on criminals so they cannot use their hands), hashtag (#), headquarters (a company’s administrative centre).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this incident with the clock?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos