Airbus A340 lands in Antarctica – level 1
A large plane lands in Antarctica. It happens for the first time in history.
Few people live in Antarctica. Scientists stay there. Tourists visit Antarctica sometimes, too. Most people usually come by ships. Planes do not land there often. There is no proper runway like at airports. There are no lines to help the planes land. There is no electricity on the runway. It is difficult to land on Antarctica. The runway is full of snow and ice.
The plane travels from Cape Town in South Africa. The trip is five hours long. The people stay for only three hours in Antarctica. They bring cargo for tourists.
Difficult words: land (to come to the ground), proper runway (a correct or suitable place to land), trip (when someone travels), cargo (things which a plane or ship carries).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos