Alabama executes a man with nitrogen – level 2
Alabama executed Kenneth Smith using nitrogen gas. It was a new method which was not tested before.
The procedure lasted 22 minutes, during which Smith visibly struggled for air. The procedure involved a mask and pure nitrogen. There was no oxygen, but the man tried to breathe for some time. The White House expressed deep concern about whether this method was still okay and in line with American values. Smith’s lawyers argued that the method was cruel.
Despite international criticism, Alabama proceeded with the execution. Some people worry that other US states could use this method in the future, too.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What concerns have been raised about the use of nitrogen gas as a method of execution and what potential effects could it have on the future of capital punishment in the United States?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.