Albania Theatre – level 1
On May 17, workers destroy Albania’s National Theatre. The theatre is in the capital city, Tirana. Heavy machines come to the place.
The work cannot start. People are inside the theatre. Police must come. The police arrest 37 people. They arrest one journalist, too. Later, these people are free.
The next day, people start to protest. They are very angry. The police use pepper spray to stop the people.
Actors protest, too. They do not agree with the demolition. One actor says that the demolition is against the law.
Some politicians are angry, too. They are not happy with the government. They say that the government must resign.
Difficult words: protest (to go to the streets and say that you are angry with your government), pepper spray (a spray that hurts the eyes, and people use to stop or control someone who is dangerous and aggressive), demolition (when someone destroys a building), resign (to leave a job).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.