Alcohol Going Up – level 1
Scientists watch how much people drink. They start watching in 1990. In 1990, the typical person drinks 5.9 litres of alcohol a year. That is around one drink a day. In 1990, 45% of people drink.
In 2017, people drink more. They drink 6.5 litres a year. That is more than in 1990. That is around eight drinks a week. More people drink, too. Around 47% of people drink in 2017. In 2030, it is possible that 50% of people will drink.
People are drinking more. More people are drinking. Alcohol can be dangerous. Scientists say that 3 million people die because of alcohol every year.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.