American Confederate Statue – level 1
This news is from North Carolina. It is a southern state in the USA. University students protest there.
They protest a statue. Its name is ‘Silent Sam’. The students see it as a symbol of racist heritage. After some protesting, they knock down the statue. They kick it and cheer. The University does not like this. Police arrest one person.
Difficult words: racist (showing strong bad feelings towards people of other race), heritage (history, feelings and ideas which parents teach their children).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos